B.Sc. / M.Sc. (Thesis) Track
This is an option designed for strong undergraduate students who are interested in research and completing an honours program in our School. The option allows such students to complete a M.Sc. program within one year.
This option is open to students who:
- Have taken at least 3 graduate level courses in computer science at the 500 level as undergraduates;
- Have clearly demonstrated their academic excellence (normally by a GPA above 3.75);
- Have shown strong evidence of research potential (generally through their work on a summer or undergraduate research project);
- Will enter our program with a clear plan for their Master's thesis research and a formal commitment from a faculty member to supervise and, if necessary, provide financial support.;
- Have registered for conditional admission no later that 15 September of their U3 year to ensure appropriate course selection and mentoring.
Formal admission to the program will be part of the regular admissions process to the Master's degrees.
To satisfy residency requirements, students will have to be registered and pay for at least three successive semesters in the M.Sc. program (commonly, Summer, Fall, and Winter).
Summary of the Requirements
Here is a brief summary of the requirements for the B.Sc./M.Sc. thesis
Admitted students are expected to complete:
- 3 full-time terms of residency;
- 2 seminar courses (COMP 602 and COMP 603);
- At least 14 credits of COMP complementary courses at 500 level or higher;
- A thesis with significant scholarly content and research.
How It Works
Applying to be considered for the B.Sc./M.Sc. track assumes that you are in contact with a faculty member who has agreed to supervise your thesis work.
- Prepare a one-page application document listing:
- Your name and student ID,
- The name of the Faculty supervisor who has agreed to supervise the thesis, and
- The proposed title for your M.Sc. thesis.
- Submit your application by sending it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, at the latest by 15 September of your U3 year. CC your proposed supervisor.
- If your application is approved, you will receive a conditional admission to the program.
- You will then need to formally apply to the M.Sc. program for admission (in the subsequent summer term for U3 students).
- Your admission will be official upon admission confirmation by GPS.
More information about the B.Sc. / M.Sc. (thesis) track can be found in the Faculty of Science pages, or by contacting the graduate secretary.