If you need specific packages installed on a CS machine, you can simply email us at
firstname.lastname@example.org requesting it to be installed. Typically we accept all requests, unless there is
no way to deploy the software without affecting other users.
That being said, you should first check that the software you need is not already installed. If you know the
name of the binary, you can try the
$ which eclipse > /usr/local/pkgs/bin/eclipse
You will notice that we install a lot of non-standard packages under
/usr/local/pkgs with symlinks
We have a few of the most popular JetBrains products installed with licenses for all CS machines. To use our license, just open an IDE and select "License Server" when asked for a license. You can also obtain a personal license which you can use at home for free from the Jetbrains website. If you would like another JetBrains IDE installed, or the existing IDEs updated, please contact email@example.com.
lab1-[1,16] have Nvidia GPUs with the full CUDA development kit installed. The current version is available at
/usr/local/cuda and previous versions re available at
/usr/local/pkgs/cuda/version/. To use a previous version, make sure that:
Students enrolled in the School of Computer Science are entitled to educational licenses for the following family of products:
1. Using a Private or Incognito browser go to https://azureforeducation.microsoft.com/devtools.
2. Click on the blue “Sign In” button and enter your school-provided email address and hit ‘Next’.
3. You'll be redirected to your McGill's log in page to sign in.
4. Upon signing in, you may be asked to agree to the terms and conditions (for first time users). If not, you should see all the software titles available for download by searching the keyword ‘Education’ and choose the ‘Education (preview)’ from the list.
- Simply visit the On The Hub website and register with your
firstname.lastname@example.org email and a password that should not need to be your McGill password (this is a external site so it does not authenticate off McGill's user database).