| Course Description
To provide an introduction to numerical techniques
for solving basic computational science problems.
It emphasizes the design, analysis, and computer implementation of accurate and
Prerequisites: Facility with a high-lavel scientific
programming language (such as C, C++, Java or Fortran), Calculus III, and
an introductory knowledge of matrix theory and applications. These are
provided by COMP 250 (or COMP 202), MATH 222 and MATH 223.
- Computer numbers and arithmetic;
- Use of MATLAB;
- Solving systems of linear equations;
- Solving a nonlinear equation;
- Polynomial and spline interpolation, least-squares approximation;
- Numerical integration
- Numerical ordinary differential equations.