My research interests fall into the areas of history and philosophy of mathematics and science, epistemology, and cognitive science. In particular, I am interested in the developments in the 19th and early 20th century that led to the emergence of modern mathematics and logic, and in systematic investigations regarding axiomatics, the use of notation, analogical reasoning, concept formation, and theory development. I am also involved in editorial projects of the works of Pasch, Hilbert, Bernays, and Carnap.
- My paper "Dedekind's abstract concepts: models and mappings" (with Wilfried Sieg) has appeared in Philosophia Mathematica (online) (September 2014).
- I have written a short note of advice for writing papers for the Routes of Writing Project, The McGill Writing Centre (August 2014).
- My paper "A subjective comparison between a historical and a contemporary textbook on geometry" (with Douglas Roland Campbell) has appeared in Journal of Humanistic Mathematics (July 2014).
- In June 2014 I was Visiting Researcher at Laboratoire d'Histoire des Sciences et de Philosophie - Archives Henri-Poincaré, Nancy, France.
- Promotion to Associate Professor with tenure (June 2014).
- History and Philosophy of Mathematics at McGill now has its own webpage (August 2013).
- Volume 3 of the Hilbert Edition, "David Hilbert's Lectures on the Foundations of Logic and Arithmetic, 1917-1933", edited by W. Ewald and W. Sieg, in association with M. Hallett, in collaboration with U. Majer and myself, has finally appeared (June 2013).
- My paper "Mathematical practice and conceptual metaphors: On cognitive studies of historical developments in mathematics" has appeared in Topics in Cognitive Science (April 2013).
- My paper "The correspondence between Moritz Pasch and Felix Klein" has appeared online in Historia Mathematica (March 2013).
- My paper "Axioms in mathematical practice" has appeared in Philosophia Mathematica (January 2013).
- ... old news.