My research interests fall into the areas of history and philosophy of mathematics and science, epistemology, and cognitive science. In particular, I am interested in the developments in the 19th and early 20th century that led to the emergence of modern mathematics and logic, and in systematic investigations regarding axiomatics, the use of notation, analogical reasoning, concept formation, and theory development. I am also involved in editorial projects of the works of Pasch, Hilbert, Bernays, and Carnap.
- My paper "The cognitive advantages of counting specifically: A representational analysis of verbal numeration systems in Oceanic languages" (with Andrea Bender and Sieghard Beller) has been published online in Topics in Cognitive Science (October 2015).
- The issue of Synthese, in which I co-edited a special section on "History and Philosophy of Infinity" with Brendan Larvor and Benedikt Löwe has appeared (September 2015).
- My paper "Metaphors for mathematics from Pasch to Hilbert" has been accepted for publication in Philosophia Mathematica (September 2015).
- At this year's convocation I was awarded the H. Noel Fieldhouse Award for Distinguished Teaching from the Faculty of Arts (June 2015).
- My paper "Basic mathematical cognition" (with David Gaber) has appeared in WIREs Cognitive Science (online) (May 2015).
- My paper "The cognitive advantages of counting specifically: A representational analysis of verbal numeration systems in Oceanic languages" (with Andrea Bender and Sieghard Beller) has been accepted for publication in Topics in Cognitive Science (December 2014).
- My paper "Axioms in mathematical practice" has made it onto the list of "Notable Writings" in The Best Writing on Mathematics 2014 (M. Pitici, ed., Princeton UP) (November 2014).
- My paper "Dedekind's abstract concepts: models and mappings" (with Wilfried Sieg) has appeared in Philosophia Mathematica (online) (September 2014).
- I have written a short note of advice for writing papers for the Routes of Writing Project, The McGill Writing Centre (August 2014).
- My paper "A subjective comparison between a historical and a contemporary textbook on geometry" (with Douglas Roland Campbell) has appeared in Journal of Humanistic Mathematics (July 2014).
- In June 2014 I was Visiting Researcher at Laboratoire d'Histoire des Sciences et de Philosophie - Archives Henri-Poincaré, Nancy, France.
- Promotion to Associate Professor with tenure (June 2014).
- ... old news.