COMP 599 HOME PAGE
Statistical Learning Theory
- I have posted notes below for the lecture
on VC dimension on the 16th of September.
- I gave the lecture live on the 14th of
September and it was recorded successfully. I have posted some notes
below but everything in my notes is also in the book.
- The lecture by Prof. Oberman is recorded and is available from
myCourses. To see it look under Content and not under
- Assignment 1 has been posted both here (see below) and on myCourses.
To find it in myCourses look under Content and not under
Assignments. The Assignments tab on myCourses is for submission of your
solutions to assignment 1. Assignments can be submitted until 11:00
- The course will be taught on campus in Trottier 100 from 11:35
to 12:55 Mondays and Wednesdays. The lectures will be
- This course is co-taught with Prof. Adam Oberman of the Department of
Mathematics and Statistics and is cross listed as MATH 597.
- Here is the lecture schedule.
- Here is a course outline.
- The recommended textbooks for the course are Understanding Machine
Learning by Shai Shalev-Schwartz and Shai Ben-David and Foundations
of Machine Learning by Mehryar Mohri, Afshin Rostamizadeh and Ameet
Talwalkar; this book is available at Mohri's website. These books
have not been ordered through the bookstore.
- Lecture Times: MW 11:35 - 12:55
- Lecture Place: Trottier 100
- Office Hours: MW 1:30 - 2:30 by Zoom
- Office: McConnell (North Wing) 105N
- TA and office hours:
- Vincent Luczkow Wed 2:30 - 3:30 by Zoom
Video recording of lectures
These are also available in myCourses.
McGill University values academic integrity. Therefore all students
must understand the meaning and consequences of cheating, plagiarism and
other academic offenses under the Code of Student Conduct and Disciplinary
Procedures (see http://www.mcgill.ca/integrity for more information). Most
importantly, work submitted for this course must represent your own
efforts. Copying assignments or tests from any source, completely or
partially, or allowing others to copy your work, will not be tolerated.
Every student has the right to submit written
work that is to be graded, in English or in French.
Chaque étudiant a le droit de soumettre en français ou en
anglais tout travail écrit.