Reading Assignment 1
Here are three different papers dealing with decision tree learning.
They contain more sophisticated methods for dealing with certain
aspects of decision tree construction. You have to choose one of
these papers, read it and write a short summary (maximum two
pages, 12 point font). Your summary should contain the following
points (not necessarily in this order):
- The main idea expressed in the paper
- The theoretical justification
of the idea
- Empirical support provided by the experiments in the
- What you liked or disliked about the paper
- Questions you had about the paper, aspects you did not understand
You should bring your summary to class on Tuesday, September
24. Be prepared to shortly summarize the paper in front of your
colleagues and participate in discussion.
The papers for this reading assignment are:
Murthy, S.K., Kasif, S. and Salzberg, S. (1994) "A System for Induction of Oblique Decision Trees". Journal of AI Research, Volume 2, pages 1-32.
- Quinlan, J.R. (1996) "Improved Use of Continuous Attributes in C4.5". Journal of AI Research, Volume 4, pages 77-90.
- Quinlan, J.R. (1995) "Oversearching and Layered Search in Empirical Learning". Proceedings of IJCAI'95.
Prof. Doina PRECUP
Last modified: Wed Sep 18 20:21:07 EDT 2002