ISM/CRM Undergraduate Summer Scholarships
Undergraduate Research Supervised by Postdoctoral Fellows. Deadline March 20th!
Funded by the Institut des Sciences Mathematiques (ISM) and the Centre de Recherches Mathematiques (CRM), the Undergraduate Summer Scholarships give undergraduate students the opportunity to acquire research experience in a university or industrial environment while offering postdoctoral fellows the chance to gain experience in research supervision.
Description: ISM Summer Scholarships are offered to undergraduate students in mathematics and statistics who are registered in one of the ISM member universities. They allow selected candidates to do research under the supervision of a postdoctoral fellow affiliated with one of the ISM member universities.
Duration of the scholarship: 2 to 4 months
Salary: $1,250 per month for the duration of the scholarship
Financing: The combined CRM-ISM contribution is $625 per month for the duration of the scholarship. The remainder of the financing is provided by other research funds (individual researchers, research laboratories, etc.).
Deadline: The deadline for submitting an application is March 20, 2008.
Required documents: The following documents should be submitted to the ISM:
- A description of the research project with a calendar indicating how and when the work will be carried out. The duration of the scholarship must be clearly specified on the application.
- University transcripts.
- A letter of recommendation from the proposed supervisor or the sponsoring professor attesting to the ability of the candidate to carry out the research project. Candidates are encouraged, but not required, to provide a second letter of recommendation.
- The scholarship recipient is committed to working full time on the research project.
- The recipient will present a research report at the end of the project.
- If the candidate wishes to work on a research project in an industrial environment, a postdoctoral fellow affiliated with a university must co-supervise the work.
- Exceptionally, a professor who does not have an NSERC grant may supervise a student.
Projects available with McGill School of Computer Science postdocs:
- Quantum information in special relativity with Kamil Bradler.
- Robotics and computational topology with Abubakr Muhammad.
- Quantum control theory with Abubakr Muhammad.
Students should contact potential supervisors by email.