Rules and prizes
A part of the A+ project involves the design of peephole patterns for
the Java Virtual Machine. Collections of such patterns may be
submitted for a contest among the different project groups.
The rules are as follows:
The prizes will be Official dOvs Peephole Contest Winners'
T-Shirts, one for each member of the winning project group.
The T-shirts will be presented to the winners at the end of the course.
- each project group may submit one entry;
- an entry is a collection of peephole patterns as defined in the
requirements of the A+ project;
- all unsound patterns are deleted from the collection;
- a pattern is judged to be unsound by the teaching assistants (a project
group may appeal this judgment);
- each entry will be tested on the total collection of benchmark
programs generated by the project groups;
- the patterns will be run in the context of the standard A+ compiler;
- the winner is the entry that
minimizes the combined code size (number of bytes)
of the benchmark programs as measured by the
totalbytes script (found in
~hendren/JOOS1.1/Bin ) ; and
- entries are only accepted until the beginning of week 12 for McGill.