- Java 5.0 Documentation and Java 2 Platform SE 5 (Java Standard Library) API Specification
- Java 6.0 Documentation and Java 2 Platform SE 6 (Java Standard Library) API Specification
- Sun/Oracle's Java Tutorials: Main Page - Common Problems (and Their Solutions)
In order to complete coursework using your own computer, you will need the following software packages:
- Required: The Java Development Kit (JDK)
You should install the JDK BEFORE any IDEs like Eclipse.
Mac OS X: JDK 5 or 6 is installed by default on most Mac computers.
GNU/Linux: JDK 5 or 6 is available in the software repositories of most major GNU/Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, Fedora, and OpenSUSE. You can install it through your package manager.
- Optional: RText (download page)
Mac OS X: rtext_1.3.1_osx_bin.dmg
- Optional: Eclipse (choose Eclipse IDE for Java Developers)
Every program you submit for grading MUST AT LEAST compile and run using the Sun/Oracle JDK 6 installed on the PCs found on the third floor of Trottier building.
Course personnel (instructors and TAs) are under no obligation to provide any environment-related support to students who choose to use development environments other than those listed above. The above environments will be the only ones whose use will be demonstrated in the lectures and taught in the tutorials, and for which usage instructions will be provided in course materials. Furthermore, instructors and TAs are not required to help students who experience environment-related problems using environments other than those listed above.