2010 Barbados Workshop on Compuatational Complexity -- Bellairs
Getting to Bellairs
- From the Airport
- To get to Bellairs from the airport, either take a taxi (about
$100 Bds / 50 USD) and split the cost if you share or a bus ($4 Bds).
If the taxi driver does not know where Bellairs is, say it is
located in between Folkstone Park and Coral Reef
on the North side of Holetown. These two landmarks
are famous; but with all the workshops
during the past 15 years, Bellairs is also becoming famous
among taxi drivers. If you want to take a bus, there are
some direct busses but more interesting is to go to Bridgetown
first and change to another bus (at another bus station).
Bellairs Telephones: area code (246), main office:
dining hall: 422-2034. FAX: (246) 422-0692.
Manager: Richard Haynes, email:
- At Bellairs (consult the Bellairs Map)
- When you arrive at Bellairs just go straight to the
There, you will find either people or a message for you on the
bulletin board or the blackboard telling you which is your room.
rooms are in the two buildings shaded in dark grey called
East Wing and West Wing. The rooms are labeled with
E and W accordingly. You will find a key to your
in your room, which should be unlocked unless your roommate has
already arrived. In this case, you should look for your roommate
on the beach.
The Most Important House Rules
- Kitchen and Food
- Breakfast is provided by Bellairs and is included in the room
The breakfast food is kept in the kitchen fridge. This food is
to be used only at breakfast and finished by 9:30 a.m.
- We are responsible for washing all of our dishes after breakfast.
Please leave the kitchen clean.
- We can make coffee in the kitchen any time we want.
- There is a guest fridge in the dining hall where we can keep our
private food. Please label your food and remove any left over
- Showers and Sand
- Sand in the shower drains can cause enormous blockage
problems. Please be sure to rinse off the sand from your feet
before entering your rooms. There are water taps outside both
of rooms for this purpose.
- Locked Doors and Valuables
- Please leave your room locked when you are not in it.
- You can leave your money and other valuables in the safe in the
main office. If you leave some money in your room I suggest you
put it in a purse inside a locked suitcase inside a closed
certainly do not leave it within arm's reach of the back windows
facing the public park. This was fine ten years ago but Barbados
has undergone a lot of progress in recent years.
Telephones and computers are available in the main office (sort of).
Bellairs Survival Hints
- Food and Snacks
- We will have a cook and the food is great but if you need
anything special please bring it along. There will be a fridge
where we can keep our private food items.
- The coffee there is of the instant variety. If you wish to
bring your own coffee you may do so.
- Vegitarians may want to bring their favorite non-perishables,
it is not necessary since there is already a diverse selection at
local supermarket. There is also good vegetarian roti in several
places near Bellairs.
- Beach, Sun, Snorkeling, and SCUBA diving
- Bellairs is situated on one of the best beaches in Barbados, so
don't forget your bathing suit (and skin protection) for swims
before breakfast and in between work sessions.
- There is also good snorkeling right in front of Bellairs so if you
have a mask and fins bring them along too. In fact, if you SCUBA
dive bring your gear. There is diving right there as well and air
tanks at Bellairs cost only about US$12.00 per tank!
- Depending on the weather conditions and other factors, we may
get some mosquitoes. You should bring some bug repellant just in
- We will be living in intimate quarters. All of us will share a
room with one or possibly (but very unlikely) two others (even
four to a room has occurred in the past) with a resulting
distance of inches between beds. If you snore let me know
in advance and I will put all the snorers together. It is
my experience that a snorer has no problem sleeping with another
snorer. In fact they enjoy it!