milestone: Group Formation
Please complete this milestones (and all following ones) with your
group partner. This milestone is intended to prepare you for the JOOS
enhancements and WIG compiler from-scratch implementation that you
will complete in this course. The WIG project will be essentially the
same as in previous years, and you are encouraged to look over the
2004 to 2007 pages linked from the bottom of the 2008 home page. The
JOOS deliverables will also be quite similar to previous years. The
precise details of the 2008 requirements will be available in due
time. Answer this assignment in a plain text file called prep.txt
and submit it using SVN, as stated below.
For this milestone you need to answer the following
To complete this assignment, create and edit your file prep.txt at
the location group-X/reports/prep.txt of your local working
copy the file there if you created it
somewhere else) and then commit it using svn commit. (Group
will be assigned before the deadline.) There is no need to email us on
Unless you took a late day we will automatically take the version into
account that was checked in last before the point of the deadline.
- Who are your group members?
- Are all of your mail.mcgill.ca email addresses working?
- Do we have your CS user IDs and ssh public keys? If not,
must send them AS SOON AS POSSIBLE because otherwise you won't be able
to check in the answer to this assignment! (You don't want to be
wasting a late day on this easy assignment.)
- What is the background of each group member that prepares
for building a large software project? What particular skills do each
of you bring to the group?
- Which compiler compiler toolset do you think you will use?
(No need to repeat the reasons to use C / Java discussed in class.)
Note that for the next milestone you will extend the Tiny language
using flex+bison, SableCC 2, and SableCC 3. This is to give you some
experience with all toolsets and let you change your mind before it is
- Which of you have had experience using version control for
software project before?
- What problems do you anticipate in the functioning of your
- What is your schedule like in terms of future group
- What are your plans for dividing the work? How will you
that every member knows how the different parts of the compiler work?
Describe your software development strategy.
- Do you have midterms scheduled for other courses this term?
If so, when? Would a midterm on October 27th pose any problems for you?
This milestone is due by the
beginning of class on Friday of week 3.
Remember that milestone completion is required for project completion,
and that timely milestone completion is part of your grade for the