milestone: symbol tables
At this point in time you should:
- have defined the kinds of identifiers that occur in WIG
- have decided what symbol information is relevant to each
- have defined the appropriate
SYMBOL (C) or
- have implemented the construction of symbol tables;
- have implemented the analysis of identifier uses;
- have tested your implementation, by:
- printing out a symbol table for
a representative program and comparing it to a manual construction;
- writing test programs that provoke every error message;
- making sure your compiler handles either these old examples and the 2007 and 2008 class benchmarks or prints an error
message if not;
- have added a command-line switch that enables (or
disables) the symbol table phase;
- have added a
symbol target to your
testing the symbol table.
You should check in your source code to
You should also detail your progress for each of the steps above in
Remember that if you
write your milestone report well enough then you can likely reuse
portions of it in your final project report.
This milestone is due on the Friday of Week 8. It will not be
considered complete until you have completed all of these tasks.
is a fairly considerable milestone and you will not be able to finish
it in one day. Remember that
successfully completing the milestones
is a key factor in completing the WIG project, and that timely
completion of milestones is part of the grade for the course. Also
remember that we expect to see all group members committing changes to
the Subversion repository.
There is no need to email us on
Unless you took a late day we will automatically take the version into
account that was checked in last before the point of the deadline.